Search WWW

Field Notes:
Changing Pittsburgh Street Names --
From Downtown to Lawrenceville

The downtown street plan was begun by John Campbell in 1764 -- the year after most of the buildings outside of Fort Pitt were destroyed in Pontiac's War. Campbell laid out a cluster of small military lots in the area bounded by Water St (Fort Pitt Blvd), Second St (Blvd of the Allies), Ferry St (Stanwix St) and Market St. In 1784, George Woods and Thomas Vickroy expanded the grid toward Suke's Run (Grant St) on the Monongahela River and Washington St (11th St) on the Allegheny River.

The Pittsburgh city line followed the Pennsylvania Canal (11th St) from the Allegheny River to Grant St. From that point to about 20th St, the borough of Northern Liberties extended between the river and Liberty Av.

Beyond 20th St and extending to 33rd St, George A. Bayard and James Adams laid out the town of Bayardstown in 1829. Bayardstown was added as the Fifth Ward of Pittsburgh in 1837.

Lawrenceville, named for the Naval commander James Lawrence, was established in 1816 by William B. Foster, father of Stephen Collins Foster, the songwriter. The U.S. Army built its Allegheny Arsenal on land provided by Foster. In time, Lawrenceville was clustered about the intersection of Butler St and 43rd St (Ewalt St) where a covered bridge crossed the Allegheny in 1870.

Between Bayardstown and Lawrenceville was Croghansville, named for the early settler George Croghan who lived in that area. His later home was called "Croghan's Castle" on the Allegheny River at the foot of McCandless St which runs between 52nd and 53rd St in Lawrenceville -- one of the few streets perpendicular to the river which was not given a numbered designation.

In 1868, Lawrenceville was one of several areas annexed by the City of Pittsburgh. Other townships made part of the city at that time were Pitt, Peebles, Oakland, Collins and Liberty. As part of the elimination of duplicate street names within the city, many streets were changed. Streets at the Point below Fifth St were eliminated by the construction of Point State Park and Gateway Center.

Street Name Within Pgh City Limits
1st St*Point AyProximity to the Pointnone
2nd St*Duquesne StMarquis de Duquesne (1700-78); Governor General of New France in North America 1752-55none
3rd St*
(Commonwealth Pl)
Marbury St
(Barbeau St)
Major Joseph Marbury, commandant of Fort Pitt after the US Revolution, 1783. Shown as Barbeau St on 1923 map.none
--*Alley --
4th St*Hay St
(Fancourt St)
Evans Ay*Evans AyOliver Evans built a steam-powered flour mill in 1809 on the Monongahela River at Redoubt Ay (1/2 block downstream from Stanwix St); operated by his son George Evansno change
5th St
(Stanwix St)
Pitt StWilliam Pitt, English prime minister, "Pittsbourgh" named in his honor by General John Forbes 1758.

[General John Stanwix began the construction of Fort Pitt in 1759]

Forms part of boundary between Pittsburgh and Wilkinsburg
Cecil PlCecil AyWilliam Cecil; worked with leather goods in his home at Cecil Pl and Liberty Avno change
Mentor Pl-- no change
6th StSt. Clair StGeneral Arthur St. Clair, Westmoreland Co. judge, US Soldier, President Continental Congress 1787East Liberty, between Fifth Av and Highland Park
Barkers PlBarkers AyPossibly, Joe Barker, "street preacher", jailed on charges of starting a riot and obstructing traffic, was put on ballot as a joke and elected Mayor of Pittsburgh in 1850 -- while still in change
Scott Pl--Dr. Hugh Scott, postmaster, 1805--
7th StIrwin St (Irvine St)William Irvine, commandant of Fort Pitt 1781-1783Irvine St: Hazelwood; Irwin St: Brighton Heights, North Side off Marshall Av
Maddock PlIrwin's Ay --
8th StHancock StJohn Hancock, President Contintental Congress 1775-77, 1785-86Polish Hill, near Herron Av
9th StHand StGeneral Edward Hand, military surgeon, commandant of Fort Pitt, established field hospital in Crafton in 1777none
Garrison AyGarrison AyNear the site of Fort Lafayette (Fort Fayette). Due to the dismantling of Fort Pitt, this fort was built in 1792 to protect against Indian attacks and act as a supply base for General Wayne, 1792-94. Reactivated for War of 1812. Site sold in change
10th StWayne StGeneral Anthony Wayne (1745-96); "Mad Anthony", raised a volunteer regiment in 1776, fought in Canada and Old Northwest; with Washington in New Jersey and Valley Forge; fought at Brandywine, Germantown, Stoney Point and elsewhere during Revolutionary War.none
11th StPennsylvania Canal - Washington StGeorge Washington (1732-99); surveyor, soldier for colony of Virginia, Commander of American Forces in Revolutionary War, First US PresidentWashington Blvd: Allegheny River Blvd to Penn Av in East Liberty
12th StO'Hara StJames O'Hara (1754-1819); Quartermaster General for the US Revolutionary Army, prominent landowner who purchased the river plain now known at "The Strip District" in 1773, partner in glassworks with Issac Craig, grandfather of Mary Schenley who donated land for Schenley ParkUniversity of Pittsburgh campus in Oakland between Boquet St and Parkman Av; continues past Soldiers and Sailors Hall as Bayard St
13th StWalnut StSpecies of tree in Western PAShadyside, between Aiken Av and Denniston St
14th StFactory StSchoenberger, Blair and Co. (and others) Iron Works, Foundries, Nail Works, etc.none
15th StAdams StProbably named for James Adams, who along with George Bayard laid out the lots of Bayardstown. (Or, George Adams, assistant burgess at incorporation of Borough of Pittsburgh, April 22, 1794)Manchester, between Chateau St and Fulton St
16th StMechanic StPossibly related to the many small lots adjacent to the Juniata Iron Works between Adams St and Mechanic St.none
17th StHarrison StPossibly, William Henry Harrison (1773-1841); active politician at the time Bayardstown was formed governor of Indiana, US soldier, famous for battle of Tippecanoe 1811, fought in War of 1812, elected to Congress 1816, US Senate 1816, Ninth US President 1841Lawrenceville, between 52nd St and 57th St
Colville StColumbia StAlternative name for the United States in honor of Christopher Columbus--
18th StPine StSpecies of tree in Western PAnone
19th StLocust StSpecies of tree in Western PAThe Bluff [Boyd's Hill], between Shingiss St and Gist St through Duquesne University
Belvit Way-- --
20th StCarson StThere was a toll gate on Penn St at Carson StSouth Side, from Hays through Birmingham to McKees Rocks
21st StAllegheny StAllegheny River [early Indian tribe which had been displaced before the arrival of Europeans]Allegheny Av: Manchester
22nd StLumber StLocal saw mills. In 1872, there were 5 lumber yards on 22nd St and 21st St between (Butler St) Railroad St and the Allegheny Rivernone
23rd StCarroll St Friendship near Penn Av, Friendship Av to Edmond St
24th StWilkins StWilliam Wilkins, first Pgh council president 1816 and judge. Other members of the prominent family included John Wilkins, prominent early citizen and John Wilkins, Jr., judge 1789. Wilkins Av: Fifth Av in Bellefield to Dallas Av in Point Breeze
25th StBaldwin StHenry Baldwin, Congressman from Western PA, US Supreme Court JusticeBaldwin Rd: Hays
26th StMorris StPossibly, Robert Morris, organized the financing of the American Revolution and led to the establishment of the first banks in the US. Fineview
27th StRush StPossibly, Richard Rush of PA, Attorney General under Madison 1814-17, Secretary of Treasury under J. Q. Adams 1825-29Manchester, between Chateau St and Manhattan St
28th StMorton St Brookline, near Glenbury St
29th StClymer StGeorge Clymer, supervisor of the US Treasury under Washingtonnone
30th StSmith StAn 1851 map shows Smith St extending up Herron's Hill to the south. S. Smith owned property at 30th St and Penn St. In downtown, Smithfield St (Smith's Field St) was named for the English settler, Devereaux Smith.none
31st StTaylor StPossibly, Zachary Taylor (1784-1850); US General in the Mexican War, joined Army 1808, commander in Southwest 1840, 12th US President 1849-50

(J. M. Taylor owned property on 30th St in 1872.)

Bloomfield, crossing Liberty Av
32nd StWilson StPossibly, Col. George Wilson, Westmoreland Co judge, 1773Wilson Av: Perry Hilltop, between Perryville Av and Charles St
33rd StBoundary StFormer boundary of the Borough of Pittsburgh after the annexation of Bayardstown. There was a toll gate on Penn St at Boundary St.Junction Hollow between Oakland and Schenley Park, from Second Av to Forbes Av
Haslett Wy   
34th St   
35th St   
36th StWainwright StZ. Wainwright, forerunner of one of the companies which eventually led to the formation of Pittsburgh Brewing Co., operated a brewery at the Allegheny River. The island thought to be that which George Washington landed on during his 1753 crossing was Wainwright Island. This island, which has since been reclaimed by the river, extended from 33rd St to 40th St. It had had other names including McCullogh's Island. 
37th StLawrence AyJohn Lawrence, naval commanderLawrenceville, between 45th St and 46th St.
38th StAllen Street Mt Washington, crossing Warrington Av to Knoxville
Foster Wy
(Lodi Wy)
Foster's AyWilliam B. Foster laid out the town of Lawrenceville in 1816no change
39th StPike StStreet intersecting the Greensburg and Philadelphia Turnpike (Penn Av), [Pike St was also an early name of Smallman St in Northern Liberties, named for the same Turnpike]none
40th StCovington St none
Almond WyAlmond St  
41st StBorough StLawrenceville Borough. (The ferry landing from Millvale was at the foot of Borough St.)Spring Garden, off Spring Garden Av, an extension of Borough Av in Millvale. Also, along the southern boundary of Mt. Oliver.
Banner Wy/Main StBanner Wy/Main StMain St north of Butler StMain St: Temperenceville (West End)
42nd StChestnut StSpecies of tree in Western PADeutschtown, from Spring Garden Av to 16th St Bridge
43rd StEwalt StEwalt family, early landownersnone
43-1/2 StAlley none
44th StBellefontaine St (or Bellefonte St)"Beautiful Fountain"Bellefonte St: Bellefield, from Ellsworth Av to Fifth Av
Locama WyLong Ay none
45th StSt. Marys StSt. Mary's Church and Cemetery on the hill near Penn Avnone
Cotton WyCedar AySpecies of tree in Western PACedar Av: Allegheny (North Side) from North Av to General Robinson St
46th StChurch StSt. Mary's Church and Cemetery on the hill near Penn Avnone
Holly WyAlley  
Home StHome StLarge home and adjacent property of Ann Irwin on Butler Stno change
47th StShoenberger StJohn H. Schoenberger lived at 47th St and Butler St in what is now part of Allegheny Cemetery. Shoenberger Iron Works at 14th St (Factory St) 
48th StMill StAlex McClintock's saw mill between 47th and 48th at the Allegheny River.none
49th St   
50th StJackson StJ. W. Jackson owned most of the property along both sides of this street.Highland Park, crossing Negley Av and leading to Highland Park
51st St   
52nd St   
McCandless StMcCandless StWilliam McCandless home at the Allegheny Riverno change

* Removed for Gateway Center

Map Sources:

Schuchman and Hannlein, 1851;

Jean Barbeau and Lewis Keyon, surveyors and publishers,
N. B. Molineux, engraver, 1830;

G. M. Hopkins plat map, 1872

Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.

Page created: Page created:
Last modified: 9-Feb-2000